Friday, June 1, 2012

The Showdown: Grandpa vs. Swan

The other day, I visited my grandparents at their nursing home.  My grandma has a more difficult time getting around, but my grandpa and I went for a walk around the pond on the grounds.  As we walked, we spotted a swan in the middle of the path up ahead of the curve.


I said to my grandpa, "If that swan's still there when we get to that point in the path, will it attack us?"

Maybe I'm a little naïve, but I was seriously apprehensive about a giant bird flying up and snapping at me.

To which my grandpa replied, "Oh, if it's still there, I'll just growl at it and it will move."  He's so cute.


So, on we walked.  Finally we rounded the path, and there sat the swan.  Grooming itself.  Smack-dab in the middle of our way.


Thus began the showdown.  Grandpa vs. Swan.


Grandpa slowly advanced, while the swan eyed us warily.  "Go on," my grandpa said, as if he expected the bird to know exactly what he was saying.


The swan paused.  Did some more wary-eyeing.  "Shoo," my grandpa repeated.  The swan slowly retreated.  Grandpa proceeded on his way, the victor.


Grandpa: 1



Swan: 0

1 comment:

Past Posts

Followers